Porto Santo, Madeira, Portugal
Agent: Cliff Jacobs - Managing Principal Estate Agent & CEO (Nat.Dpl.Hotel Man (UJ). M.P.R.E.)
Agent Cellphone: +27 (0) 84 413 1071 / +27 (0) 61 716 6951
Agent Office Number: +27 (0) 21 554 0283
Agent Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Type: Hospitality Project
Yield: Not Disclosed
Madeira, officially the Autonomous Region of Madeira, is one of the two autonomous regions of Portugal (the other being the Azores). It is an archipelago situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, in a region known as Macaronesia, just under 400 kilometres (250 mi) to the north of the Canary Islands and 700 kilometres (430 mi) west of Morocco. Madeira is geographically located in the African Tectonic Plate, even though the archipelago is culturally, economically and politically European. Its total population was estimated in 2016 at 289,000. The capital of Madeira is Funchal, which is located on the main island's south coast.
The archipelago includes the islands of Madeira, Porto Santo, and the Desertas, administered together with the separate archipelago of the Savage Islands. The region has political and administrative autonomy through the Administrative Political Statute of the Autonomous Region of Madeira provided for in the Portuguese Constitution. The autonomous region is an integral part of the European Union as an outermost region. Madeira generally has a very mild and moderated subtropical climate with Mediterranean summer droughts and winter rain. There are many microclimates courtesy of the elevation changes.
Madeira was claimed by Portuguese sailors in the service of Prince Henry the Navigator in 1419 and settled after 1420. The archipelago is considered to be the first territorial discovery of the exploratory period of the Age of Discovery.
Today, it is a popular year-round resort, being visited every year by about 1.4 million tourists, almost five times its population. The region is noted for its Madeira wine, gastronomy, historical and cultural value, flora and fauna, landscapes (laurel forest) that are classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and embroidery artisans. The main harbour in Funchal has long been the leading Portuguese port in cruise liner dockings, receiving more than half a million tourists through its main port in 2017, being an important stopover for commercial and trans-Atlantic passenger cruises between Europe, the Caribbean and North Africa. In addition, the International Business Centre of Madeira, also known as the Madeira Free Trade Zone, was created formally in the 1980s as a tool of regional economic policy. It consists of a set of incentives, mainly tax-related, granted with the objective of attracting foreign direct investment based on international services into Madeira.
Plutarch in his Parallel Lives (Sertorius, 75 AD) referring to the military commander Quintus Sertorius (d. 72 BC), relates that after his return to Cadiz, he met sailors who spoke of idyllic Atlantic islands: "The islands are said to be two in number separated by a very narrow strait and lie 10,000 furlongs (2,011.68 km) from Africa. They are called the Isles of the Blest."
Archaeological evidence suggests that the islands may have been visited by the Vikings sometime between 900 and 1030.
During the reign of King Edward III of England, lovers Robert Machim and Anna d'Arfet were said to have fled from England to France in 1346. Driven off course by a violent storm, their ship ran aground along the coast of an island that may have been Madeira. Later this legend was the basis of the naming of the city of Machino on the island, in memory of the young lovers.
"By 1480 Antwerp had some seventy ships engaged in the Madeira sugar trade, with the refining and distribution concentrated in Antwerp. By the 1490s Madeira had overtaken Cyprus as a producer of sugar."
Sugarcane production was the primary engine of the island's economy, increasing the demand for labour. African slaves were used during portions of the island's history to cultivate sugar cane, and the proportion of imported slaves reached 10% of the total population of Madeira by the 16th century.
World War I
On 31 December 1916, during the Great War, a German U-boat, SM U-38, captained by Max Valentiner, entered Funchal harbour on Madeira. U-38 torpedoed and sank three ships, bringing the war to Portugal by extension. The ships sunk were:
On 12 December 1917, two German U-boats, SM U-156 and SM U-157 (captained by Max Valentiner), again bombarded Funchal. This time the attack lasted around 30 minutes. The U-boats fired 40 120 and 150 mm (4.7 and 5.9 in) shells. There were three fatalities and 17 wounded; a number of houses and Santa Clara church were hit.
Charles I (Karl I), the last Emperor of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, was exiled to Madeira after the war. Determined to prevent an attempt to restore Charles to the throne, the Council of Allied Powers agreed he could go into exile on Madeira because it was isolated in the Atlantic and easily guarded. He died there on 1 April 1922 and his coffin lies in a chapel of the church in Monte.
The island of Madeira is at the top of a massive shield volcano that rises about 6 km (20,000 ft) from the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, on the Tore underwater mountain range. The volcano formed atop an east-west rift in the oceanic crust along the African Plate, beginning during the Miocene epoch over 5 million years ago, continuing into the Pleistocene until about 700,000 years ago. This was followed by extensive erosion, producing two large amphitheatres open to the south in the central part of the island. Volcanic activity later resumed, producing scoria and lava flows atop the older eroded shield. The most recent volcanic eruptions were on the west-central part of the island only 6,500 years ago, creating more cinder cones and lava flows.
It is the largest island of the group with an area of 741 km2 (286 sq mi), a length of 57 km (35 mi) (from Ponte de São Lourenço to Ponte do Pargo), while approximately 22 km (14 mi) at its widest point (from Ponte da Cruz to Ponte São Jorge), with a coastline of 150 km (90 mi). It has a mountain ridge that extends along the centre of the island, reaching 1,862 metres (6,109 feet) at its highest point (Pico Ruivo), while much lower (below 200 metres) along its eastern extent. The primitive volcanic foci responsible for the central mountainous area consisted of the peaks: Ruivo (1,862 m), Torres (1,851 m), Arieiro (1,818 m), Cidrão (1,802 m), Cedro (1,759 m), Casado (1,725 m), Grande (1,657 m), Ferreiro (1,582 m). At the end of this eruptive phase, an island circled by reefs was formed, its marine vestiges are evident in a calcareous layer in the area of Lameiros, in São Vicente (which was later explored for calcium oxide production). Sea cliffs, such as Cabo Girao, valleys and ravines extend from this central spine, making the interior generally inaccessible. Daily life is concentrated in the many villages at the mouths of the ravines, through which the heavy rains of autumn and winter usually travel to the sea.
Madeira has many different bioclimates. Based on differences in sun exposure, humidity, and annual mean temperature, there are clear variations between north- and south-facing regions, as well as between some islands. The islands are strongly influenced by the Gulf Stream and Canary Current, giving mild year-round temperatures; according to the Instituto de Meteorologia (IM), the average annual temperature at Funchal weather station is 19.6 °C (67.3 °F) for the 1980–2010 period. Porto Santo has at least one weather station with a semiarid climate (BSh). On the highest windward slopes of Madeira, rainfall exceeds 1,250 mm (50 inches) per year, mostly falling between October and April. In most winters snowfall occurs in the mountains of Madeira. The main Madeira island has areas with an annual average temperature exceeding 20 °C (68 °F) along the coast (according to the Portuguese Meteorological Institute).
Porto Santo, the island ...
Nearby Madeira island is the island of Porto Santo, the last virgin touristic paradise in Europe.
The turquoise blue sea invites you to dive into spectacular marine life. In this context we developed an exclusive 5 Star Resort and Spa with about 100 rooms in an isolated plot of 15.664m2 outside the urban context, transmitting calm and tranquility, involved by the force of natural elements that surround it.
The land, being inserted in front of the beach, is characterized by the presence of dunes, a magnificent sea view, overlooking the town and Cal isle, and direct
access to the beach.
The project intends to give the feeling of a collapse in the hillside creating the massif of the Resort, comprising three volumes, which are interlinked to create a symbiosis with its surroundings. This connection will be managed carefully by using plants and trees of the local flora arranged in a design that blurs the boundaries between natural and artificial, concealing the volumetry. The volumes reflect the strong colors of the hillside and its twists recreate the tension created in nature. The essence of the project lies in the confluence of forces coming from the hillside and the sea, thus configuring the volumetry of the Resort.
In our opinion, this constructive proposal meets the guidelines of Porto Santo Municipality, in the sense that it doesn’t block the sea view. There will be only a small reception and a lobby volume at the road level. We will have 10 exterior parking spaces plus a bus parking place near the reception building.
In order to make the space that runs alongside the cycleway an area of continuity rather than rupture, there will be a landfill using the legal 10m non-buildable area, already approved in the allotment. All remaining construction is below the road level, devoted exclusively to the dune frame view.
Taking into account the elevation of the natural terrain, the legal obligations regarding maximum building height are accomplished, there being two floors plus one, being part of the construction under the ground.
The volume of construction of 100 housing units, with high-quality support spaces, has a significant relevance, being identified three independent structures:
Pathways lifted or not;
Leisure and Business
Featuring a great auditorium, the resort offers the companies the possibility to organise congresses, with business and investment potential.
The beach at your feet
The resort offers a direct relation with a large garden, the swimming pool and the beach. Calm and tranquility will surround you, bringing you closer to what is important.
In the half-basement story, there will be a distribution lobby that allows access to the garage with 21 parking places, a games room, a space for children including toilets and a medical unit.
In the opposite side, we will have access to the indoor pool, gym and squash courts, the SPA, via an interior corridor, and to the exterior pools, which will be incorporated in the landscape design.
The SPA check-in desk will be at the reception, with separate access to men and women locker rooms, a large area Turkish baths, saunas, and others will be installed, which follows a private area for massages and treatments, four offices and a restroom with a covered patio.
On this floor, located at the same level as the pools and direct beach access, we will have 25 studio apartments and 3 T1 apartments.
On the floor immediately below, we have again the same organization, with both corridors making the separation between the service zone and the users' zone.
In the lobby area, we have a conference area with the conference room, a space for exhibitions and events and toilet facilities. The atrium provides access to two opposite corridors for access to lodging, where we have 8 rooms in studios, 1 T1 bedroom, 31 studio apartments and 2 T1 apartments.
The service spaces on this floor are for laundry, a small area for diverse stocks, toilet facilities and floor support rooms, as well as stewardship and repair shop.
The floor at level 17.60m, houses the restaurant, including a bar area. The kitchen and support services are located behind. In the opposite corner of the “mother building” is located the service entrance for all products featuring a semi-elevated platform connecting to a control area where the product distribution takes place throughout the stores and kitchen. This distribution is possible because of a circulation and service corridor, parallel to the corridor for customers. These are the two spaces that effectively divide the space for services and space for users. They are the backbone of the effectiveness of the enterprise functioning.
For safety reasons, there were created interruption zones in the service corridor, which provide access to emergency stairs with direct access to the exterior at the road level. These will be accessible also to users but will work with safety devices.
It should be noted that the restaurant kitchen will also be serving the staff dining room, which is located close, as well as the living room. In these floors, the locker rooms with toilet and showers are also located for staff.
Ahead of the service areas is a sequence of housing units, with access through the corridor from the restaurant lobby. There will be 10 studio-style accommodation units, 5 double rooms, 13 studio
apartments and 2 T1 apartments.
There will be two accesses to the entrance of the Enterprise: service access for the floor below the street level and the access for customers. Where the two accesses diverge, will be built a small lobby that will control all car transit. In the opposite corner of this lobby will be built the nucleus of reception that is characterized by high transparency if you are approaching from the regional road 120, coming from Baleira city, and by a large portico if you approach from the opposite direction.
In the “mother building” entrance, we enter the lobby, from where you access the reception, a dedicated room for Internet and telephone, a toilet facility for people with a mobility condition, and independent toilet facilities for men and women.
The lobby allows access to the floor immediately below by central stairs or 2 elevators. In opposition to the vertical circulation core for the users, we have the vertical circulation service core. These two volumes define the entrance portico and all possible circulation combinations in the inside.